Monday, January 29, 2007

my conscience...

A girl named ‘Conscience’ stays in my neighborhood. She’s my age; in fact we were born on the same day! She finds this fact very amusing and worse, she thinks we were meant to be together, best friends, for all lifetime. Wherever I go, she tags along. One time, I couldn’t take the proximity and locked her up at her place. Yet she found a way to escape.

A little while later, I turned around only to find that she was hurrying towards me yelling something that I wasn’t paying attention to. Most times, she turns up when I’m spending time with my friends. I end up feeling embarrassed and try talking her into getting out of the crowd, but she doesn’t budge until I’m forced to get out of the place myself and get her back home.


I don’t know what my Mother sees in her but she’s always telling me to learn many things from her. Mom tells me she’s the perfect daughter and I keep insisting my Mom to understand the fact that she doesn’t have a life and all she does is try to hang around with me. She’s there when I wake up, when I sleep; she’s there everywhere holding onto me like a leech. But after many, many years of trying to look at the positives and asking myself a billion questions, I forced myself to a conclusion. I realized that the more I’m like her, the lesser it bothers me. The truth is I don’t hate her so much, she’s considerate, kind and she knows how to differentiate right from wrong. Sometimes we gel really well and she’s a big winner with my friends. Then what’s the problem? Am I jealous of her? Definitely not! Is this my ego or insecurity speaking?? In fact, she happens to be a patient listener and she’s ‘always there’ to relieve me through most of my problems. Surprisingly, our thought process works the same way. I don’t want to be like her, although deep inside I know the truth. She’s the best yet the worst thing that ever happened to me. It freaks me out, am I turning into her?? What could go so wrong if I was her? I don’t know the answer to that but I do know I could never be her. In a way, she is like an angel sent from heaven to keep a watch over me. So that I learn to be the best person I could. I wonder, maybe I should start giving her more credit and things could change…..for better or for worse…

2 comments:

Li. said...

hey.. :-) nice imagination... personifying conscience... :-) kkeep writing...

Anuradha Reddy said...

thanx!